Overview of Security Director Jobs
The security director is the individual who oversees every aspect of cyber security including incident response, budget, security protocol, and staff. In many circumstances, the security director functions like a CISO.
Security Director Job Responsibilities
- Illustrate, implement and uphold cyber security policies as well as strategies
- Pilot all IT security programming
- Appropriate security resources effectively
- Supervise cyber security departments
- Implement training initiatives for all cyber security staff
- Design educational programming for all aspects of cyber security-related protocol and best-practice
- Coordinate Cyber Investigations
- Ensure all security systems are standardized, regulated, and lawful
- Monitor cyber security systems for vulnerabilities and boost strategies to eliminate security incidents
- Direct full security investigations
- Train security teams in the area of cyber security
- Prepare technical reports for upper management.
operations, and uphold security assets
GRC: A Security Director’s Best Friend
GRC software facilitates systematic, organized approaches to streamline the implementation of your job.Security Directors enjoy the convenience of a single framework from which to monitor cyber security protocol and procedures.
This empowers organizations by reducing risk and costs as well as minimizes complications for managers.
Security Director Career Pathway
Based on your starting point (whether you’re already active in cyber security, a service member, IT specialist, or a student) there are a few paths to entering the field of security director. We’ve listed some different levels at which you can engage in security jobs below. These levels will depend on the typical number of years of experience associated with career stages (entry, middle, senior) as well as how specialized your education is. For an in-depth look at how job experience in cyber security and education levels compare and contrast, check out our guide on how to prepare for a career in cyber security.
A note on the positions below: Some job titles are tiered within that position- a position labeled “mid-level” for example, may have a range between mid to advanced.
- Entry level:Security Administrator, IT Auditor, Junior IT Specialist
- Mid-Level Level:Security Specialist, Regulatory/Policy Analyst, Security Engineer, Security Auditor
- Senior Level: Senior Security Consultant, CISO, Security Director, Advanced Ethical Hacker
- Develop a Budget
- Ethical Hacking
- Reverse Engineering
- Security architecture
- Cloud risk assessment
- Cross-map HIPAA, IRS, CMS, and CJIS
- document LockPath processes
- IT Audit
- highly organized
- oral and written communication skills
- ethically sound
- creative thinker
- motivates teams
- Ability to say no/ hire/fire
- positive reinforcement
Security Director Job Outlook and Salary
There are thousands of jobs available for security directors across the nation. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, security director positions are projected to grow by 15% by 2024, which is a much faster rate than most fields. The median salary of Computer and Information Systems Manager is $135,800, though can range from $67,000 – $170,000+
Security Director Resources
- For information how to utilize the G.I Bill Head to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- To get certified as a systems auditor check out the Information Systems Audit and Control Association.
- Looking for a supportive effective GRC? You could try LockPath
- Ready to initiate your job hunt? Try Security Management Resources (SMR)